Are you concerned that you or a loved one is suffering from depression?
Feeling down from time to time is a normal part of life but when emptiness and despair take hold and won’t go away, it may be depression. More than just the temporary “blues,” the lows of depression make it tough to function and enjoy life like you once did. Hobbies and friends don’t interest you like they used to; you’re exhausted all the time; and just getting through the day can be overwhelming. When you’re depressed, things may feel hopeless, but with help and support depression treatment does work.
Some people describe depression as “living in a black hole” or having a feeling of impending doom. However, some depressed people don’t feel sad at all—instead, they feel lifeless, empty, and apathetic. The symptoms of depression vary from person to person though there are common signs and symptoms that point to depression. These symptoms can be a part of life’s normal lows but the more symptoms you have, the stronger they are, and the longer they last the more likely it is that you’re dealing with depression. When these symptoms are overwhelming and disabling, that’s when it’s time to seek help.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
If you identify with several of the following signs and symptoms, and they just won’t go away, you may be suffering from clinical depression.
- Loss of interest in daily activities and no interest in former hobbies, pastimes, social activities, or sex. You’ve lost your ability to feel joy and pleasure.
- You can’t sleep or you sleep too much
- You can’t concentrate or find that previously easy tasks are now difficult
- Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. A bleak outlook—nothing will ever get better and there’s nothing you can do to improve your situation.
- You can’t control your negative thoughts, no matter how much you try
- You have lost your appetite or you can’t stop eating
- Loss of energy. Feeling fatigued, sluggish, and physically drained. Your whole body may feel heavy, and even small tasks are exhausting or take longer to complete.
- You are much more irritable and short-tempered than usual
- You have thoughts that life is not worth living (Seek help immediately if this is the case)
- Irritability or restlessness. Feeling agitated, restless, or on edge. Your tolerance level is low; everything and everyone gets on your nerves
- Unexplained aches and pains. An increase in physical complaints such as headaches, back pain, aching muscles, and stomach pain.
- Self-loathing. Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt. You harshly criticise yourself for perceived faults and mistakes.
We can help
Isolation and loneliness go hand in hand with depression; here at Byron Private Treatment Centre you are held in an intimate therapeutic environment that supports you to connect with others to heal from the effects of your depressive symptoms. The treating team at Byron Private takes a holistic approach to your clinical depression treatment and supports you in understanding and healing the issues that lie beneath the depression. Finding some reprieve from the symptoms of depression may seem impossible but it isn’t, our team of highly qualified and experienced practitioners will liaise regularly to provide a comprehensive treatment plan that supports the change you desire.
Byron Private Holistic Treatment Centre believes in the power of nature as a healing agent with Byron Bay providing the perfect environment for clients to experience the simple pleasures such as being in the ocean, or walking around the natural grounds of Nungkari, making the journey of recovery much softer and less invasive than that of a clinical setting. From the first phone call to walking through the doors at Byron Private we will walk alongside you to help lay the foundations for a path of recovery.
Contact us now via the website and one of our clinical team with be in touch within 24 hours or call our Clinical Director today to talk about how we can support you or a loved one with depression on 0457 888 890 or [email protected]
Are you in need of urgent support?
If you are having thoughts of suicide and in need of urgent support please contact your doctor, local hospital, mental health service, mental health professionals or Lifeline on 131 114.
- 12 Step Meetings |
- 42 Day Residential Treatment Program |
- A Typical Day In Treatment |
- About Us |
- Alcohol Addiction |
- Anxiety |
- Art Therapy |
- Blog |
- Blog |
- Byron Private Rehabilitation Centre |
- Career Opportunities |
- Contact |
- Cranio Sacral therapy |
- Depression |
- Disclaimer |
- Drug Addiction |
- Eating Disorder Program |
- Eating Disorders and Disordered Eating |
- Equine Assisted Therapy |
- Family / Systemic Constellation Work |
- Family Therapy |
- For The Families |
- Gallery |
- Group Therapy |
- Healing through Nutrition |
- How To Access Our Services |
- Individual Psychotherapy |
- Insights into the family system in a crisis |
- Long Term Program |
- Massage |
- Meditation |
- Meet the team at Byron Private Treatment Centre |
- Pain Management |
- Payment Terms |
- Rehabilitation Centre - Quality Management Certified |
- Relationship Issues |
- Residential Treatment Program |
- Sex Addiction |
- Social Hub |
- Trauma / Post-traumatic stress disorder |
- Virtual Location Tour |
- Workshops & Events |
- Yoga |
- Abundance IS Who We Are |
- Accountability Across the Private Sector |
- Am I an Alcoholic? – Defining a Drinking Problem |
- Are Resolutions Unrealistic and Self Defeating? |
- Byron Private Attends Parliamentary Inquiry |
- Byron Writers Fest 2018: Why “having it all” must include mental wellbeing |
- Disease vs Moral Model of Addiction |
- Embracing Discomfort Is Where The Recovery Gold Is |
- Facing Easter with an Eating Disorder |
- FAMILY CONSTELLATION TRAINING BYRON BAY – MARIA DOLENC 2019 |
- How to Silence the Inner Critic by Cultivating Self Compassion |
- Interrupted Reaching Out Movement |
- Myth, Medicine and Paradox in Suicide Prevention |
- On Being Emotionally Unavailable |
- On Being Imperfect at Easter |
- Organic Food and Planetary Health |
- Piercing The Fantasy of the Christmas Family |
- Price vs Cost |
- Psychological Diagnosis: Is It Helpful? |
- Relapse – The Death of Recovery or Fertile Ground for Change? |
- Shame in the Addiction Process |
- Staying Embodied – Psycho-Emotional Rain, Hail or Shine |
- The Family System in Crisis |
- The Illusion of Power and the Gifts of Powerlessness |
- Valuable Insights into Addiction and the Family |
- Who is Rehab For? |
- Why Women’s Health Week isn’t the Key to your Wellbeing: you are!