Eating Disorder Treatment
At Byron Private we approach the treatment of eating disorders holistically and understand that simply addressing the difficulties associated with food and eating is not enough, an integrated holistic approach is needed that looks at - and values - all parts of the individual and their environment.
When the healthy self is strong enough to deal with all that comes your way in life, the eating disorder self will no longer be useful or necessary - Carolyn Costin
We believe at Byron Private that each client needs to be taken seriously and treated individually; there is no one solution for all clients, each individual is unique and may have different entanglements and support needs.
For this reason we spend the first few days of your stay focused on setting up a treatment plan that will support your goals. For some this may mean practical support such as setting up a meal plan with a dietician, or having a support person available during and post meal times. Others are ready to address deeper psychological issues and understand how they have adapted to their life situation or traumas.
Where ever you are in the healing journey we have a highly qualified team of practitioners that are focused on supporting the healthy self and healing the eating disorder self.
We incorporate our person-centred approach with foundations of systemic therapy to bring about shifts in behaviours, thoughts and relationship. According to Carolyn Costin - renowned eating disorder author, speaker and clinician - eating disorders can be healed.
Features of Byron Private's Eating Disorder Treatment Approach
- Ongoing Medical and Psychiatric Management - Our GP and Psychiatrist are there to manage your medical treatment and care, working alongside our practitioners to ensure an integrated, holistic approach. Regular Psychiatric and Medical appointments may be needed dependant on health at admission and results from pathology, this is all included in your treatment plan.
- High levels of Individual Therapy and Individual Support: Outside of the Individual therapy sessions, our Primary Therapist team is there on hand alongside our care support workers to ensure you have enough support when navigating difficult ground.
- Equine Assisted Therapy: Our equine therapist works with clients on a physical, mental and emotional level, addressing the entire body structure, physiology, mind and spirit. This work provides clients with a supportive and safe space to release the stress and trauma associated with eating disorders.
- Family Program: Families facing eating disorders tend to do best when they are guided and supported through the crisis at hand. Our family program incorporates psycho education, communication exercises and group discussions along with individual processes within the group to ensure the whole system not just the individual is supported
- Meal support: Residents are supported by a combination of Clinical and Care staff at lunch and dinner and post-meals as required
- Nutritional and Naturopathic Management: It's important for residents with restricting, bulimic or overeating patterns to work collaboratively with our dietician to set an eating plan so that the deeper work can be done. In addition a thorough Naturopathic assessment will be incorporated into your treatment plan to ensure all aspects of your health are attended too..
- Workshops and Therapy: Our specialist therapists will offer targeted support to your individual needs. We offer a range of workshops in which the relationship between what we eat and our emotions can be explored. Our mindfulness and meditation group supports the integration of this learning alongside weekly support with your therapist and clinical care staff where specific challenges related to the recovery journey can be expressed.
- Supportive Tasks and Contracts: These may be set up in collaboration with the client, client's therapist and case manager during their time at Byron Private to support the resident to work through and build awareness around old patterns of relating that are working against real recovery and connection.
- Yoga and Fitness Program: We understand and appreciate that exercise is an important path to well being and supportive in the eating disorder recovery journey. We support clients to take part in our exercise program provided sufficient calories have been taken in and approval has been granted by our medical team.
Weight and BMI Admission Policy
Byron Private’s approach to eating disorders is to support the healthy part of the individual through a range of therapeutic and alternative therapies and a balanced lifestyle. Our Centre is not a hospital based “feeding centre” or focused on primarily food and weight, which requires you to be at a BMI above 16 and recent bloods prior to admission. All admissions are pending a phone assessment to ensure we can adequately support you with your treatment goals.
Management of those with low BMI may include weekly weighing by our GP. If the resident's weight falls while in treatment below levels deemed safe by our GP it can inhibit the ability to cognitively and physically take part in our program at Byron Private.
What to do now:
Byron Private offers an effective pathway to recovery for those living with eating disorders and other common co-occurring challenges such as addictions and mental health. If you or someone you love is struggling, please reach out to our clinical team for a confidential discussion on 02 6684 4145 or via our online contact form.