Trauma / Post-traumatic stress disorder
“I spoke to about 5 different hospital based clinics that had this type of care and they were 3 week treatments in a large group setting! For me a hospital was a trigger for my PTSD, in my heart I knew I needed longer than 3weeks. And then I found Byron Private treatment Centre in Byron Bay, as I read the website it ticked all the boxes for me, it’s not hospital based and takes a holistic approach and I desperately wanted to get off medication as I was permanently sedated, and it only had a maximum occupancy of six people.”
Many people have strong emotional or physical reactions following the experience of a traumatic event. For most, these reactions subside over a few days or weeks but for some, the symptoms may last longer and be more severe. This may be due to several factors such as the nature of the traumatic event, the level of available support, previous and current life stress, personality, and coping resources.
Symptoms of trauma can be described as physical, cognitive (thinking), behavioural (things we do) and emotional. Although these symptoms can be distressing, they will settle quickly in most people. They are part of the natural healing process of adjusting to a very powerful event, making some sense out of what happened, and putting it into perspective.
Others will develop more serious conditions such as depression, post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety disorders, or alcohol and drug problems. The Byron Private clinical team specialise in the holistic treatment of psychological trauma and will support you in your recovery.
Signs and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder can be grouped into three areas.
- Re-experiencing symptoms
- Flashbacks—reliving the trauma over and over, including physical symptoms like a racing heart or sweating
- Bad dreams
- Frightening thoughts
- Avoidance symptoms
- Staying away from places, events, or objects that are reminders of the experience
- Feeling emotionally numb
- Feeling strong guilt, depression, or worry
- Losing interest in activities that were enjoyable in the past
- Having trouble remembering the dangerous event.
- Hyperarousal symptoms
- Being easily startled
- Feeling tense or “on edge”
- Having difficulty sleeping, and/or having angry outbursts
Not all those who have experienced a traumatic event will develop a stress disorder; some have intense responses to trauma that subside within a few weeks. When symptoms are ongoing and longer than a few weeks it may be post-traumatic stress disorder. Research indicates that stress disorders are effectively treated with psychotherapy and in some cases medication.
We can help
Often post-traumatic stress disorder co exists with other addictions and destructive behaviours, at Byron Private we believe that looking at only one aspect of the issue would be to treat only half the problem. We believe that psychological trauma must be treated along with the destructive behaviour in order to gain a solid recovery. Our post-traumatic stress disorder treatment plan dives beneath the presenting mental symptoms and addresses the issue holistically.
The Byron Private team is committed to recovering every aspect of your health and wellbeing. We employ a diversity of treatment modalities within a supportive and nurturing environment to help you heal and recover from past traumas. We understand that trauma and addiction ravages every level of human existence – mental, emotional, physical and spiritual and we believe that restoring the delicate inter-connective balance between these elements is fundamental to a successful recovery. Our approach integrates multi-dimensional healing strategies set within the natural environment of Byron Bay, holding the whole person within a complete wellness philosophy that will inspire change, instil hope and self compassion.
Contact us now via the website and one of clinical team will respond to you within 24 hours or call our Clinical Director today to talk about how we can support you in your recovery from post-traumatic stress disorder and trauma on +61 457 888 890.
Request a Callback
Get in touch with us today to see how we can help.
- 12 Step Meetings |
- 42 Day Residential Treatment Program |
- A Typical Day In Treatment |
- About Us |
- Alcohol Addiction |
- Anxiety |
- Art Therapy |
- Blog |
- Blog |
- Byron Private Rehabilitation Centre |
- Byron Private's Eating Disorder Program |
- Career Opportunities |
- Contact |
- Cranio Sacral therapy |
- Depression |
- Disclaimer |
- Drug Addiction |
- Eating Disorders and Disordered Eating |
- Equine Assisted Therapy |
- Family / Systemic Constellation Work |
- Family Therapy |
- For The Families |
- Gallery |
- Group Therapy |
- Healing through Nutrition |
- Hear From Our Clients |
- How To Access Our Services |
- Individual Psychotherapy |
- Insights into the family system in a crisis |
- Massage |
- Meditation |
- Meet the team at Byron Private Treatment Centre |
- Pain Management |
- Payment Terms |
- Rehabilitation Centre - Quality Management Certified |
- Relationship Issues |
- Residential Treatment Program |
- Sex Addiction |
- Social Hub |
- Transitional Aftercare Program |
- Trauma / Post-traumatic stress disorder |
- Virtual Location Tour |
- Withdrawal Management Program |
- Workshops & Events |
- Yoga |
- Abundance IS Who We Are |
- Accountability Across the Private Sector |
- Are Resolutions Unrealistic and Self Defeating? |
- Disease vs Moral Model of Addiction |
- How to Silence the Inner Critic by Cultivating Self Compassion |
- Interrupted Reaching Out Movement |
- On Being Emotionally Unavailable |
- On Being Imperfect at Easter |
- Organic Food and Planetary Health |
- Piercing The Fantasy of the Christmas Family |
- Price vs Cost |
- Psychological Diagnosis: Is It Helpful? |
- Relapse – The Death of Recovery or Fertile Ground for Change? |
- Shame in the Addiction Process |
- Staying Embodied – Psycho-Emotional Rain, Hail or Shine |
- The Family System in Crisis |
- The Illusion of Power and the Gifts of Powerlessness |
- Valuable Insights into Addiction and the Family |
- Who is Rehab For?